What is known about MCP
More is known about treating Bartlett pears than d’Anjous, Bosc, or other varieties, says Welcome Sauer, president of AgroFresh, which markets SmartFresh.
• MCP-treated pears sold earlier in the season take longer to ripen.
• Pears stored longer ripen more quickly.
• Treated pears stored in CA ripen more slowly afterwards.
• Pears treated with MCP too early might not respond well.
• Pears treated too late might be past the response zone.
• Every variety acts differently to MCP in every region of the world.