- Tree density has a highly significant positive effect on yield.
- Tree density has a highly significant effect on trunk diameter.
- Profitability increases with increasing tree density up to 1,000 trees per acre.
- Fruit yield has a large effect on profitability.
- Fruit price has the greatest effect on profitability.
- With high fruit prices, the optimum density is high.
- Regardless of land cost or interest rate, the optimum density is about 1,000 trees per acre.
- At high planting densities, tree price has a large impact on profitability.
- Higher density systems reach full production more quickly.
- Higher density orchards do not ultimately produce higher yields per acre.
- Higher tree densities usually bring higher investment and higher risk.
- The best combination of high profitability without excessive risk is achieved by the tall spindle system for fresh fruit blocks and vertical axis for lower-priced or processing blocks.
Recent Blog Posts
July 22nd, 2015|0 Comments
Understanding SWD Biology, Behavior & Seasonal Needs. Presented by Amy J Dreves, Oregon State University, Beverly Gerdeman, Washington State University, and Emilio Guerrieri & Massimo Giorgini, Institute for Plant Protection [...]
(Tuesday) 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Eugene Unitarian Universalist Church
Northwest Center for Alternatives to Pesticides